Social MeetUp: For early arrived students, we are planning to have a Tapas route (each one pays his own) at the Borne neighborhood. The meeting point is: "Palau de la Generalitat de Catalunya" (https://goo.gl/maps/f34FDdMx3H72) at 18.00h. Feel free to join us!
Topic: Feature Selection.
Professor: Dr. Andrzej Janusz
Affiliation: University of Warsaw, Institute of Computer Science.
- Feature selection – an introduction
- Feature Selection Problem – what is it?
- Do we still need FS (and why we do)?
- Some examples of practical problems where FS is a must
- Categorization of FS methods
- Filtering approaches with a discussion of their pros and cons
- Wrapper approaches with a discussion of their pros and cons
- Embedded methods
- Examples of filtering approaches
- The contextuality - univariate/multivariate methods
Tuning feature scores into feature subsets – practical issues
- Correlation filters
- Statistical tests
- Entropy/gini/discernibility-based filters
- Relief/reliefed algorithm
Maximal relevance – minimal redundancy rule (MRMR)
Rough sets and decision reducts
- K-best approach
- Selecting optimal ‘k’ – permutation tests
10.30h Coffee break
- Examples of the wrapper approach and feature subset search strategies
- The greedy heuristic
- Recursive feature elimination
- Examples of different heuristics
- Examples of embedded methods
- LASSO regression
- Role of the L1 regularization
- Examples of other notable FS methods which are difficult to classify
- RF-based feature rankings
- Ensembles of feature subsets
- Feature clustering and its uses
- The notion of feature interchangeability
13.00h Lunch breaks
- R language and its most popular FS libraries
- Methodology of measuring performance of FS methods
- Golub’s experiment
15.45h Coffee break
- Extraction of features from sensory data obtained from coal mines
- Performance tests of several FS methods
- Investigation of feature interchangeability
17.00 End of the day
Tuesday 04/09/2018 - Wednesday 05/09/2018
Topic: Microsoft Azure for Life Sciences.
Professors: Dr. Dimitrios Vlachakis
Teacher Assistance: Eleni Papakonstantinou
Teacher Assistance: Louis Papageorgiou
Affiliation: Genetics Laboratory, Agricultural University of Athens.
- Introduction to MS Azure; applications and future scope
- Hands on #1: Data management and Analytics in MS Azure
- Hands on #2: Speeding up research in the MS Azure cloud-omics ecosystem
Pot Luck Wednesday 05/09/2018: We encourage you to bring snacks, food, beverages from your country to share them after the classes finished!
Thursday 06/09/2018 - Friday 07/09/2018
Topic: Deep Learning.
Professors: Dr. Tarry Singh
Teacher Assistance: Raik Otto
Affiliation:Founder and CEO, deepkapha.ai
9am - 12 pm : Title — Deep Learning Introduction (Computer Vision and CNNs) | Mode — Theory
12 - 5 pm : Title — Putting theory of Computer Vision into practice | Hands-on coding
9am - 11 pm : Title — Use of Deep Learning in Healthcare / Bioinformatics | Mode — Theory
11am - 5 pm : Title — Detecting skin Cancer or Breatmass Cancer with code | Mode — Hands-on coding